Millions of people are taking steps to end their own hunger in partnership with The Hunger Project and we’re celebrating! Join us in honoring World Hunger Day this Monday, May 28.
925 million people do not have enough food to eat to lead healthy and productive lives. Such chronic, persistent hunger is not due merely to lack of food. It occurs when people lack opportunity to earn enough income, be educated and gain skills, meet basic health needs and have a voice in the decisions that affect their community. And the brunt of this lack of opportunity and access to resources is borne by women who are primary caregivers, farmers and food providers to their families.
World Hunger Day is about raising awareness. And it is also about celebrating the achievements of millions of people who are taking actions every day to end their own hunger and poverty and make the journey to self-reliance.
On May 28 in London, legendary singer and UN FAO Goodwill Ambassador, Dionne Warwick will return with her friends for an incredible night of celebration with more than 5,000 people at the Royal Albert Hall in support of The Hunger Project’s work. The All Star Cast will include Sir Cliff Richard OBE, Alexandra Burke, Caro Emerald, Boy George, Tony Hadley, Joe McElderry, Katie Melua, Mica Paris, Rumer and the London Community Gospel Choir.
Debuting that evening will be the first public performance of One World, One Song, a wonderful project aimed to get the whole world singing together for a future free from hunger and poverty. Find out the story of One Song.
We are sharing an important moment in history: a moment that calls for the moral and practical imperative of achieving a world without hunger and poverty. We do not have the luxury of another century or more to get this done. Working together, we can make this vision a reality before time runs out.
Join the celebration of World Hunger Day! Here’s what YOU can do!
- Spread the message: Wear your heart on your sleeve with our twibbon for Facebook and Twitter
- Tweet! Mobilize your friends, tweet a celebrity and make positive a difference from now until #worldhungerday. Here’s a sample: Millions of people are taking steps to end their own hunger. I’M CELEBRATING 28May #WorldHungerDay @HungerProjectUK plsRT
- Invest in the work of The Hunger Project and the millions of women and men who are working to end their own hunger and poverty every day.
- Learn more about World Hunger Day’s purpose and performance line-up
- View photos of THP partners and staff from around the world honoring World Hunger Day.
- Read our blog post about World Hunger Day and share YOUR photo!
- Check out the 2012 event page on Facebook
- Dionne Warwick talks about her role in World Hunger Day 2012 with Forbes
- Photos from 2011 on THP-UK’s Flickr Page
- Highlights from 2011 World Hunger Day
May 24, 2012