The retail sector has benefited for years from coordinating national shopping days around the holidays. Everyone knows “Black Friday” or “Cyber Monday.” This year, however, something unique will take place on Tuesday, November 27, 2012. It’s being called #GivingTuesday, and with your help it will make history. Our goal is to launch a day of giving at the start of the annual holiday shopping season and to show that holiday shopping can be about both giving and giving back.
People everywhere including retailers, charities, online organizations, community centers, individuals, families and more will come together with one common purpose – to help others and incentivize ways to give more, give smarter, and celebrate the great American spirit of contribution.
#GivingTuesday is not a new giving platform, but a call to action to celebrate giving and encourage more, better and smarter giving during the Holiday Season. It’s an organizing principle to encourage the creativity and energy of Americans to work together for good.
The success of #GivingTuesday depends on the collective efforts of all of us. We will prove that the holidays can be about both giving and giving back. It will celebrate how Americans can do more with their wallets than just shop – and that we Americans can give as good as we get.
Message courtesy of the #GivingTuesday team!
What can you do?
- Read our #GivingTuesday blog on the Huffington Post: The Power of Grassroots Democracy
- Download and share the full-sized version of the image above
- Share the #GivingTuesday messages on our Facebook and Twitter
- Learn more about #GivingTuesday
- Pledge to donate a status, any status!
- Most importantly, GIVE! Whether you volunteer, share the #GivingTuesday message with friends or invest in worldwide programs like ours, get out there and give.